Fall is just days away here in Colorado. Now is a great time to assess the condition of your home to make sure you’re aware of any improvements or changes necessary to prepare your property for the colder weather. Here’s a short list of important items you might want to add to your “Honey-Do” list.
1. The Roof! We just had a significant amount of rain and hail last week. If you have any shingle damage now would be the time to get the ladder out and take a look around. Hey, clean those gutters out while you’re up there too!
2. The three F’s. Fireplace, Filters, Faucets. Fireplace debris should be cleaned out before you plan on breaking in the fireplace for another beautiful snowy night listening to those crackling logs. Filters should be checked and or changed once a month. Faucet washers have a tendency to loosen up over time. It never hurts to spend a few minutes checking the pipes under the sink since we tend to overlook that area all too often.
3. Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monixide Detectors. Make sure your batteries are working right and also, a real estate rule of thumb, Carbon Monoxide detectors should be placed within 10 feet of a bedroom or sleeping quarters.
4. Heating. Draining your hot water heater every fall is a great way to get rid of extra debris that may have settled to the bottom of the tank. Hey, while you’re down in the basement you might as well change that filter on your heating unit!
5. Most importantly, check your windows and doors for cracks in the seals. Get that caulking gun out and fix any issues you may have. Making your home run as efficiently as possible will help cut down heating costs and make you feel like a Super Saver!
Enjoy these last days of Summer! Fall is on it’s way!